Wednesday, 5 October 2011

I am stupid!

I often find it amazing quite how stupid I can be. Today I was reading the Holy Father's Angelus address where he gave a brief commentary on Psalm 23. Despite being one of my, and I imagine most peoples, favourite Psalms I had never drawn the connection with Jesus as the Good Shepard and definitely not the Eucharist. Yes, you may laugh!



Now you've got that out of your system, I'll put his comments below. I know that next time I receive Holy Communion I'll have in my mind 'You have prepared a banquet for me in the sight of my foes. My head you have anointed with oil; my cup is overflowing.'

“The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want”. With its exquisite pastoral imagery this much-beloved Psalm speaks of the radical trust in God’s loving care which is an essential aspect of prayer. The Psalmist begins by presenting God as a good shepherd who guides him to green pastures, standing at his side and protecting him from every danger. “He leads me beside still waters; he refreshes my soul” (vv. 2-3). The scene then passes to the shepherd’s tent, where the Lord welcomes him as a guest, gracing him with the gifts of food, oil and wine. “You prepare a table before me … you anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows” (v. 5). God’s protection continues to accompany the Psalmist with goodness and mercy along his way, a way which leads to length of days in the Lord’s Temple (v. 6). The powerful image of God as the Shepherd of Israel accompanied the whole religious history of the Chosen People, from the Exodus to the return to the Promised Land. It finds its ultimate expression and fulfilment in the coming of Jesus, the Good Shepherd, who gave his life for his sheep, preparing for us the table of his Body and Blood as a foretaste of the definitive messianic banquet which awaits us in heaven."


The Lord is my shepherd;
there is nothing I shall want.
Fresh and green are the pastures
where he gives me repose.
Near restful waters he leads me,
to revive my drooping spirit.

He guides me along the right path;
he is true to his name.
If I should walk in the valley of darkness
no evil would I fear.
You are there with your crook and your staff;
with these you give me comfort.

You have prepared a banquet for me
in the sight of my foes.
My head you have anointed with oil;
my cup is overflowing.

Surely goodness and kindness shall follow me
all the days of my life.
In the Lord's own house shall I dwell
for ever and ever.


2 comments:

  1. It's always wonderful to learn new things concerning the meanings behind the Scriptures. The older we get, I think the more we realise how very little we actually know!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunetly there's not a like button on blogger, but if there was i would like your comment.

    ReplyDelete

Total Pageviews